Thursday, May 5, 2011

Livin' The 'Merican Dream

Last week was our week of being an 'Merican!  On Wednesday we went to a country music concert at The Nutty Brown Cafe (no, not owned by one of my relatives).  On Sunday we again went to see some more country music - this time an all-day-long-festival held in the American-esque venue - a baseball field!  I credit our friend Jacob (who has the bestest handlebar mustache this side of the Red River) with inviting us to the country music festivities and showing me some great local music.



Another trait of being 'Merican is having a yard sale - which we did on Saturday!  When two lives become one, such as we did when we got married last month, the man's stuff must be sold, ha!  It was actually fun to sit outside on a temperate overcast spring morning, people watch (we encountered all walks & ages of life), meet neighbors that we hadn't yet, and make a little spending money as well as clear out all the junk!  One man's trash, is truly another man's treasure.

Lastly, 'Mericans love to eat, and eat out we did twice this week!  We don't usually eat out more than once a week, though this week we had both out-to-eat meals compensated - score.  On Saturday night (mistake numero uno, as it is the busiest night to haul the kids out of the house and let them jump/climb/frolic throughout the restaurant) we went to Golden Corral.  You see, Andrew had been asking me when we could go as soon as this Golden Corral opened up near our house last year.  I have been avoiding the opportunities to go, but this one I could not pass up - a free meal coupon that Andrew received for his birthday in the mail (how come I didn't get one?).  I'm a sucker for coupons, so let's go.  I realize now why I am a picky restaurant eater-outer.  That place is purely disgusting.  The fluorescent seizure-inducing atmosphere, the food saturated in oil or bathed in hot water, and the clientele that joined us for dinner are all reasons why I will not return anytime soon.  Andrew and I each had a salad plate, a main dinner plate, and a dessert plate (I shamefully admit to being completely gluttonous with the dessert plate - that chocolate cookie pizza, slice of cake, macaroon were really yummy).  And that was well below HALF the calories of what most patrons were consuming.  Aside from the amount of food people were eating, was how they were eating it - I though that after the age of about 4 years old, one was educated on how to use utensils and not to use his or her fingers to consume food.  Disgustingly too many sloppy eaters causing running over of food onto table & floor - and I won't even blame the kids for that one.  Kids yelling/jumping/running as if they were at a Gymboree - again I can't blame the kids - parents must reprimand!!! 

I am both astonished and ashamed that this is how well over half of the country lives, treats their bodies, and disciplines their children.  Sadly, I can see that this may be the future of America.

In closing, I don't follow world news or politics closely, I obviously was tuned in to the happenings of Bin Laden this past week.  Although I am not proud to be 'Merican, I am grateful of my God given freedom and very proud and honored to be the American that our military protects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment