Friday, January 4, 2013

Boy versus Girl Predictions

When you're pregnant, you receive much unsolicited advice, comments, and opinions.  At least half of the time when I told a questioner that we were going to be surprised with the sex of our baby, he or she would give me his or her prediction as to whether we would have a boy or girl.  Most of the time (I would say 90% of the predictors), the predictor would state "boy."  It was either because my belly was high or because it was low (?), because my skin was clear or because I was active.  I was curious what the ACTUAL wive's tale was regarding how you are carrying the baby, and I found many other predictors. 

I was carrying low (versus high) which predicts BOY
I was craving sweets (versus salty) which predicts GIRL
Mother's age plus the year is odd (even predicts girl) which predicts BOY
I had clear skin (versus blemished skin) predicts BOY
I had little to no nausea (versus highly nauseous) predicts BOY

SOOO - according to most of these predictions I was to have a BOY, which I did!

Other quirky wive's tales that I didn't get to do:
Hang your wedding ring by a string over your belly and if it swings a girl and circles a boy is predicted.

Drop a key on the floor and if the person who picks it up for you picks it up by the round part a boy or narrow part a girl is predicted.

And I saved the weirdest for last...
Pee in a cup and to it add a tablespoon of Drano.  If it turns green a girl or blue a boy is predicted. 

I had a blast waiting til the birth to find out the sex of our little bun in the oven.  Each day closer to his or her birthday I anticipated meeting him or her even more than if I knew the sex.  It was the biggest "planned surprise" of my life.  I loved making my friends and family crazy with anticipation too ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment